Autoclaving amino acids and sugars

Matthew Sachs msachs at ADMIN.OGI.EDU
Mon Feb 12 19:14:21 EST 1996

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to cut down on contamination in our lab by autoclaving as many
>components of media as possible.  Will autoclaving galactose and sucrose
>form unacceptable levels of glucose?  Also, we have always autoclaved
>threonine and aspartic acid;  Fred Sherman writes in the Guide to Yeast
>Genetics that these should be added separately.  Any idea why?  Thanks in
>advance,
>
>Robert Nakamura
>Northwestern University

I can share what we use for routine testing of the requirements of
vegetatively growing Neurospora crassa for fourteen amino acids in
supplemented minimal medium.  David Perkins provided this information in a
course he taught at Stanford University.  Amino acid stocks are prepared in
water and kept refrigerated with a drop of chloroform to preserve them.
The mg/ml of amino acid in the stock, and the concentration factor of the
stock are indicated.

L-arginine (40 mg/ml; 80X)
L-asparagine (20 mg/ml; 50X)
L-aspartic acid (50 mg/ml; 50X)
L-glutamine (20 mg/ml; 50X)
L-histidine-HCl (25 mg/ml; 50X)
DL-isoleucine (3 mg/ml; 33X)
L-leucine (5 mg/ml; 25X)
L-lysine (20 mg/ml; 40X)
L-methionine (10 mg/ml; 20X)
L-phenylalanine (10 mg/ml; 50X)
L-proline (10 mg/ml; 20X)
L-serine (50 mg/ml; 125X; protect from light)
L-threonine (5 mg/ml; 50X)
L-tryptophan (8 mg/ml; 40X)

Matthew Sachs
Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology
20000 NW Walker Road
P.O. Box 91000
Portland, OR  97291-1000
503 690-1487 Phone