Ade2 Red Compound?

SL Forsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Sat Feb 17 14:20:57 EST 1996

Chris Seidel wrote:

> I'm looking for the name of the compound which accumulates
> in ade2 mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and turns them RED!
> Any references would be very helpfull. I've searched and can
> find no specific or unambiguous references, so any information
> or references would be great. Thanks!
>
> -Chris
> --------------------------------*
> (seidel at mendel.berkeley.edu)
> http://mendel.berkeley.edu/kane/

Ffrom Jones and Fink ("Amino Acids and Nucleotide Biosynthesis",
 in _Molecular biology of the yeast Saccharomyces:
Metabolism and Gene Expression_, 1982, p271), as they describe
the biosynthesis of adenine:

"Closure of the imidazole ring to yield phosphoribosylaminoimidazole
(also called AIR) ....requires ATP.  The red pigment that accumulates
in ade1 and ade2 mutants apparently derives from this intermediate."

I was always told it was SAICAR but that forms downstream of ade1/2
function, so that must be in error.  As I recall, cells must also be
respiratory competent to develop the color.

Hope this helps.

-- susan

S L Forsburg
susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu