Ade2 Red Compound?

Bernard J. de la Cruz delacruz at jeeves.ucsd.edu
Sun Feb 18 09:46:14 EST 1996

In article <31262A99.12F4 at qm.salk.edu> SL Forsburg <susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu> writes:

>I was always told it was SAICAR but that forms downstream of ade1/2
>function, so that must be in error.  As I recall, cells must also be
>respiratory competent to develop the color.

As a ugrad, I did some work in developing a screen in Neurospora
of vacuolar-ATPase function based on the ad3a mutation.  This work
was initially done by Foury in Saccharomyces.  Basic idea: knockout
of V-ATPase function turned red ade mutants back to wildtype color.
This can be used as a screen for V-ATPase mutants.

Here is what I believe is the reference:
 Foury F.
     The 31-kDa polypeptide is an essential subunit of the vacuolar ATPase in
     Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
   Journal of Biological Chemistry, 1990 Oct 25, 265(30):18554-60.

I hope that helps.

Bernard J. de la Cruz  <delacruz at jeeves.ucsd.edu>  "I don't try to predict
Biology Ph.D. Student      Lab:  619.534.3107       the future; I try to
UCSD Dept of Biology       FAX:  619.534.0053       prevent it."
Bonner Hall, 0322          Home: 619.455.1153       --Ray Bradbury
La Jolla, CA 92093-0322