Growth on galactose

Mark Crowe mark.crowe at
Thu Feb 22 12:57:58 EST 1996

In article <1996Feb20.153439.4723 at nedcu0>, David Humair <David
humair at bota.> wrote:

> Hello yeast's people,
> My question is perhaps stupid but I have no answer!
> Is it normal that my yeasts grow more slowly on galactose than on glucose?
> Glucose: 24-48 hours
> Galactose: 48-96 hours, and the colonies are smaller

I've had yeast do the same, although I don't use galactose often, so I
can't say whether this is common. Also the strain I was using was
slow-growing on glucose anyway, but still took even longer on galactose -
this may have affected the relative growth rates on the two media.

Mark Crowe - mark.crowe at
Institute of Food Research
Earley Gate, Whiteknights Road, Reading, UK