Yeast plasmid isolation/ E. coli transformation

SL Forsburg susan_forsburg at
Fri Feb 23 13:48:51 EST 1996

Tracie Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
> Can anyone recommend a good procedure for isolating single copy plasmids from
> yeast and transforming the plasmid into E. coli?  I have tried the standard
> procedure with the breaking buffer and glass beads and transforming E coli
> with limited success.  Only one or two colonies if I am lucky.
> Thanks
> traciem at

We find significant success when we use electroporation into
E coli as the method of transformation.
It really makes a difference for plasmid recovery
from cerevisiae or pombe, in our hands.  WE break our yeast
the usual way (glass bead lysis).

-- susan
S L Forsburg
susan_forsburg at