Growth on galactose

George Theodoris ez003450 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu
Wed Feb 21 14:24:46 EST 1996

David Humair (Davidhumair at bota.unine.ch\) wrote:
: Hello yeast's people,
: My question is perhaps stupid but I have no answer!
: Is it normal that my yeasts grow more slowly on galactose than on glucose?

The preferred carbon source for yeast is glucose so they tend grow slower
on other carbon sources. The S288c lab strains also have mutations in
GAL2, a galactose transporter, which can have a detrimental effect on
growth on galactose. The gal2 phenotype of the s288c strains is more
pronounced on low concentrations of galactose when respiration is
inhibited.

-George Theodoris
"So many mutants, so little time"