pombe genome project

Colin Rasmussen colin at fungus.biochem.ualberta.ca
Fri Feb 23 21:08:53 EST 1996

Well, I have to say a skeptic has been converted. I know all the
arguments as to why the genome projects are being pursued, but until
this week I wasn't convinced that it was that wonderful a deal. Okay, so
I'm a little old-fashioned about these things, I figure if someone else
does all the sequencing, where's the skill. However, I also have a lazy
streak and, having pulled out a clone from a two-hybrid experiment, run
a Blast search, and found that a few kb of sequencing I was facing had
already been done, and now having a complete restriction map, knowing
the ORF...etc., I'm convinced.

My only complaint is that I wish there was more of the pombe genome
sequenced because I still have several clone that don't match anything
so far.

Colin

p.s. Thanks to the pombe genome project people. I owe you a beer (at
least).