Help

Benjamin Lieberman ben.lieberman at uchsc.edu
Tue Jan 16 13:06:12 EST 1996

In article <960114015615_72642.2273_IHD115-1 at CompuServe.COM>,
72642.2273 at COMPUSERVE.COM ("Sidney F. Hoyt") wrote:

> I am interested in yeasts for making bread, particularly, learning how to make
> yeast for bread.  Can anyone there point me in the right direction?  Was not
> able to find internet source on how to grow yeast to store for later bread
> making.  I'll be grateful for any help you can provide.

There are lots of good books on bread making, check out the library.  To
make yeast for bread is actually very easy, since there are lots of the
little buggers floating around in the air as spores.  All you need to do
to make a starter is to take flour, milk, and a little sugar to make a
liquid (not pasty) and leave it loosely covered in a corner of your
kitchen.  About three or so days latter it will be quite frothy and smell
like bread (if it smells sour it got bacteria in it and is no good), and
will make very good sourdough bread.  Once a week add equal measures of
flour and milk to the starter to keep in going and store it in your
refrigerator.

Alternatively you can use commercial yeast (such as red star) to make your
starter.  This is not quite as satisfying, but is a lot faster and easier
(less chance of contamination).

Have fun with your bread making!

Ben
ben.lieberman at uchsc.edu

--
I sometimes wish things could be more like they are.
                                     --J. Jensen--