those little bubbles

Neigeborn, Lenore neigeborn at OCELOT.RUTGERS.EDU
Thu Jan 18 12:34:39 EST 1996

Hi Folks,

I know of two remedies to the problem of little "dots" in the dissecting agar,
although we've never really been able to figure out exactly what the "dots" are.
 I suspect it has something to do with the quality of the agar, although we
always use the "primo" stuff.

Solution 1 (expensive, so we don't do it anymore):  use agarose instead of agar.

Solution 2 (cheap and easy):  NEVER refrigerate the plates.  We pour the plates
hot and let them dry at room temp and then store them at room temp.  We actually
did the experiment and moved some of the plates to the cold room and left some
at room temp and, VOILA, the cold plates had little "dots" and the warm plates
didn't.

I should say that when I say "we", I mean the Royal We - my students did all the
figuring out!

I hope this helps.

Lenore Neigeborn
Waksman Institute