Those tiny bubbles.....(in YPD plates)

Hoffmacs Hoffmacs at HERMES.BC.EDU
Thu Jan 18 09:52:57 EST 1996

Hi Michael et al.,
I have to admit that I too suffer from PI disease, but my grad students think
it is incompletely autoclaved agar.
Charlie Hoffman
"I'd rather be fission."

I'm a bit embarassed to post this, as one would think I would have solved
this one by now....

Recent batches of my YPD plates have many tiny bubbles in them, or what
looks like tiny bubbles in the tetrad dissecting scope.  These bubbles are
just a little bit smaller than a spore, so you can well imagine how much
fun dissecting tetrads is on these plates.  To make matters worse, I KNOW
that I solved this problem 10 years ago, but I can't for the life of me
remember what the solution was.

If anyone out there has observed this problem and solved it, PLEASE let me
know ASAP.  In addition to driving me nuts, it's preventing me from
introducing a new postdoc to the joys and pleasures of tetrad dissection.
How can you tell someone that the way to tell the difference between a
spore and a bubble is that a spore looks sporish?

If anyone else has this problem and hasn't solved it, give me a call and
we can have a good cry together....

Michael Lichten
lichten at helix.nih.gov

--