tunicamycin and yeast growth

Lew Roger planters at dekan.phoenix.yorku.ca
Tue Jun 11 12:21:24 EST 1996

Hi:

	I am interested in methods to enlarge yeast cells for patch clamp
and (possibility) intracellular measurements of ion transport activity. I
recently read in The Life of Yeasts (Phaff, Miller and Mrak) that
tunicamycin causes Saccharomyces cerevisiae to enlarge and become
spherical, without significantly impairing growth. Unfortunately, thie
wasn't referenced, and the only references I could uncover examined the
effects of tunicamycin on yeast protoplasts.

	Has anyone worked on this? I would be very interested in how large
the cells become. Alternatively, could someone point me in the direction
of any references to this effect of tunicamycin?

Any help appreciated.............
			(York University - Biology)
			(e-mail: fs300541 at sol.yorku.ca)