Marguerite Evans p2158740 at ACSUSUN.ACSU.UNSW.EDU.AU
Fri Jun 14 23:20:59 EST 1996

Hi everyone,

Would you believe I am still having problems with Northerns?  I don't
think my specific problem is related to the method now, but to my
probes.  Has anyone experienced (with either a Northern or a Southern),
upon re-probing the membrane, that they get their probe binding all over
the place in "splotches" if you like.  It is like it is binding to
something else on the filter - could this be dried up SDS that sticks
well to the filter?  (I strip membranes by boiling 0.5% SDS, pouring it
onto the membrane and letting it come to RT.  I then blot the excess from
the membrane using 3MM and re-probe.  I haven't seen this before and it
is just ANOTHER item to add to my long list of "Northern problems".  My
probes bound beautifully (if you could say that) to the that I
cannot get it off!!

Still I repeat the mantra passed onto me by Mike Leibowitz..."there's no
such thing as a trivial Northern blot....there's no such

Thanks for listening...

Marguerite Evans School of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
UNSW  Sydney  2052

voice: (+61)(2)385 2030
fax:   (+61)(2)313 6271
email: p2158740 at