Northerns...again

Marguerite Evans p2158740 at ACSUSUN.ACSU.UNSW.EDU.AU
Fri Jun 14 23:20:59 EST 1996

Hi everyone,

Would you believe I am still having problems with Northerns?  I don't
think my specific problem is related to the method now, but to my
probes.  Has anyone experienced (with either a Northern or a Southern),
upon re-probing the membrane, that they get their probe binding all over
the place in "splotches" if you like.  It is like it is binding to
something else on the filter - could this be dried up SDS that sticks
well to the filter?  (I strip membranes by boiling 0.5% SDS, pouring it
onto the membrane and letting it come to RT.  I then blot the excess from
the membrane using 3MM and re-probe.  I haven't seen this before and it
is just ANOTHER item to add to my long list of "Northern problems".  My
probes bound beautifully (if you could say that) to the spots...in that I
cannot get it off!!

Still I repeat the mantra passed onto me by Mike Leibowitz..."there's no
such thing as a trivial Northern blot....there's no such
thing...."

Thanks for listening...
Maggie.

Marguerite Evans School of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
UNSW  Sydney  2052
NSW
Australia

voice: (+61)(2)385 2030