Michael Lichten lichten at
Mon Jun 24 14:17:38 EST 1996

In article <4qh7un$m4h at>,
lafontaine at mailserver.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE (Denis Lafontaine) wrote:

> Dear netters,
> A friend of mine would like to seperate yeast cells efficiently prior to a
> FACS analysis.
> I guess that this can be done by sonication but I don't know what settings
> should be used. Thank you for your suggestions.
We have used two different makes of sonicators, currently a Heat Systems
microson XL, previous was a Braunsonic, as I recall.  In both
circumstances, the absolute lowest setting (i.e. "0") worked fine with a
microtip.  We do it for 5 sec for live cells, but as I recall fixed cells
are "stickier".  I would recommend doing a time curve, as if you blast for
too long the cells disintegrate.

Michael Lichten
lichten at