Cataloging Yeast Strains

Robin L. Wright wrightr at ZOOLOGY.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Mar 4 15:27:34 EST 1996

Filemaker is a great, easy to use Database program for cataloging
strains.  It can also be used to maintain inventories and chemical
safety date.  Even better, it now comes in two versions, PC and MAC,
that both have the same look and feel.  This means that you can save
a file from a PC and use it on a Mac and vice versa.  I have used the
program on both platforms and can attest that it works the same on
both.  You can do simple searches as well as complicated AND, NOT, OR
combinations.  It is one of the best programs that I have used - and
everyone in my lab agrees.

Filemaker, like all databases, works by storing information, then
allowing you to display that information in various ways.  If you are
interested in having the layouts we use for strain cataloging, I
would be happy to provide them.

Robin Wright
(P>S> I have absolutely no interest, financial or otherwise, in
Claris, the Filemaker maker.)