Yeast dissection/fiber optic needle

David Roof Roof at mail.med.upenn.edu
Tue Mar 19 15:28:32 EST 1996

In article <v02130500ad6f1fd15e6f@[165.112.57.132]>,
mcdonald at box-m.nih.gov (John McDonald) wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>   I just purchased a yeast dissection microscope and need to know where I
> can get fiber optic needles.  If you know of a company, preferrably in the
> USA, that supplies these needles let me know.  Please supply the address
> and telephone number of the company.  Thanks.
>
> John McDonald

We use fiber optic from Edmund Scientific, 0.002 inch diameter, catalog #
F31.735.  This cost $36 for a bundle that lasts a long time.  This info is
all at least 6 years old.  Unlike premade needles, you have to break the
glass yourself and identify the rare case where where the end is
acceptable, then glue it onto a larger glass rod.  The advantage is an
unlimited supply of glass at the right diameter, so you can keep breaking
and examining (with a microscope) until you get it right.

Edmund Scientific
101 E. Gloucester Pike
Barrington, NJ 08007
609-547-3488