Question and email for list

Kathy Baynton baynton at esbs.u-strasbg.fr
Sat Nov 2 06:26:35 EST 1996

Dear Francis,

I would be interested in adding my name to the email directory list and
at the same time, as I'm not sure where to send this question, I have
included it - if you could either indicate where I could send this
myself or do it for me, I would really appreciate.  I'm relatively new
to this net stuff and apologise in advance for any inconvenience this
may cause.  Thanks alot!!

I am currently using electroporation to transfect my yeast with the
desired plasmid and was wondering if anyone knew what might be the level
of cotransformation using such a technique.  Most people I've talked
with suggest that this technique has a lower level of cotransformation
than either the lithium chloride, PEG or spheroplasting techniques.  But
some tests I've performed which enables the detection of two different
plasmids present in a single yeast colony arising after transformation
with an equal mixture of the two plasmids suggests that the level of
cotransformation can vary from 1-10%.  Carrier DNA is not used and is
usually not included in such a procedure.  I was wondering if anyone
knows any more about cotransformation levels using any of the common (or
not so common) transfection techniques and if possible, how can this be
minimized, IF at all possible. ANY suggestions, comments etc. would be
really appreciated!!  Thanks!!

Kathy Baynton