Cotransformation

Kathy Baynton baynton at esbs.u-strasbg.fr
Sat Nov 2 06:16:58 EST 1996

I am currently using electroporation to transfect my yeast with the
desired plasmid and was wondering if anyone knew what might be the level
of cotransformation using such a technique.  Most people I've talked
with suggest that this technique has a lower level of cotransformation
than either the lithium chloride, PEG or spheroplasting techniques.  But
some tests I've performed which enables the detection of two different
plasmids present in a single yeast colony arising after transformation
with an equal mixture of the two plasmids suggests that the level of
cotransformation can vary from 1-10%.  Carrier DNA is not used and is
usually not included in such a procedure.  I was wondering if anyone
knows any more about cotransformation levels using any of the common (or
not so common) transfection techniques and if possible, how can this be
minimized, IF at all possible. ANY suggestions, comments etc. would be
really appreciated!!  Thanks!!

Kathy Baynton