ade3 dependent Histidine auxotrophy

Richard Stevens rstevens at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Nov 13 19:42:17 EST 1996

Hey Yeasties,
     I've taken advantage of the His- phenotype of ade3 strains to
transform plasmids into ade2 ade3 strain.  If the strain is HIS3 (and all
the other HIS) then a plasmid carrying ADE3 can be transformed into the
strain.  Transformants can be found on SD-his medium.
     An article by Beth Jones and Gerald Fink in "The Molecular Biology of
the Yeast Saccharomyces: Metabolism and Gene Expression" (1982) says that
this is because ade3 mutants accumulate 5,10-methylene THF, and this
results in inhibition of the histidine biosynthesis pathway.

On 13 Nov 1996, J. David Stepp wrote:

> Daniel Schott mentioned in passing that ade3 strains cannot synthesize
> histidine.  We've seen His auxotrophy in ade3 strains but were unaware that it
> was directly related.  Can others confirm this phenomenon?  Thanks.
>
> Dave Stepp

         @..@             Rick Stevens
        (\--/)            Department of Biochemistry
       (.>__<.)           Box 357350
       ^^^  ^^^           University of Washington
   ''''''''''''''''       Seattle, WA  98195-7350