cloning

Marguerite Evans p2158740 at ACSUSUN.ACSU.UNSW.EDU.AU
Mon Nov 25 23:10:47 EST 1996

Hello everyone,

I have a simple question to ask...how frequent/common is it for people to
experience deletions/rearrangements when they are cloning their favourite
gene?  I appreciate that the problem is likely to be strain-related and
I have tried several different strains, finding my plasmid to be more
stable in JM101 than any other.  But still, deletions occur.  We even
jest about "vanishing genes".  Our lab often discusses possible toxicity of
some DNA sequences to E. coli and it has been suggested to us to try directly
transforming into yeast.

I am interested to find out how often this sort of problem arises and how
other labs approach and overcome it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Marguerite.

Marguerite Evans
School of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
UNSW  Sydney  2052
NSW
Australia

voice: (+61)(2)385 2030