Y-187 and the CLONTECH 2-HYBRID SYSTEM 2

Stephen P. Gunn gunn at icrf.icnet.uk
Mon Nov 25 22:06:20 EST 1996

  I would be interested to hear from anyone using the Clontech 2-Hybrid
system 2.  I have been using the system recently to test for direct
protein-protein interaction using the strain Y-187 provided in the kit.

  I have found that the strain is absolute shite, to coin a phrase, when
the strain is subjected to the LEU selection, having being transformed
cell death occurs before recovery, and thus one obtains very few, or no
transformed colonies at all.

  I have since switched to the strain Y-190 and are not experiencing this
problem.

  I would be grateful if you could mail me with information as to any
problems you may have had with Y-187 as I am currently in contact with
Clontech, and despite showing results of a parallel transformation with
Y-187 and Y-190, same DNA, same amounts, same day different strains, they
are still unwilling to accept that there may be a problem with the strain.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Stephen P. Gunn
    ICRF Labs.
    Institute of Molecular Medicine