cell cycle arrest?

Tom Menees tmmenees at CCTR.UMKC.EDU
Tue Apr 8 13:51:45 EST 1997

>Dear Yeasters,
>
>I have one basic question about yeast cell cycle arrest: if yeast cells
>are treated with agents inducing cell cycle arrest like alpha factor or
>hydroxyurea, how long does it take to see the effect, I mean, majority of
>cells at unbudded state?

>TIA

If cells are growing logarithmically in liquid culture the arrest should
occur in one generation.  However, for alpha factor, the arrest may not be
efficient for your strain.  We use a strain that is mutant in the BAR1
locus to improve the efficiency and duration of arrest using much lower
concentrations of alpha factor.  BAR1 encodes a secreted protease that
degrades alpha factor.  We used hydroxyurea at a concentration of 200mM for
our strains.  By the way, hydroxyurea arrests cells with large buds
(characteristic of S phase arrest).

Tom