Crude extract Protocol ? (Kippert ?)

Guillaume Stahl stahl at infobiogen.fr
Fri Apr 18 19:38:46 EST 1997

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a rapid and efficient (who doesn't ?) protocol to
extract crudely proteins from cerevisiae; the purpose is to quantify
firefly luciferase AND (low) B-Gal activity.

I was using a time-consuming glass-beads technique, but heard about

- a freeze-thaw technique : Schneider et al 1996, Biotechniques 20, no
6, 962-963 (very low efficiency for luc, and almost nothing for B-Gal),

- and also a sarcosyl method (almost no activity for luc) Kippert 1995,
FEMS microb. let. 128, 201-206. He states this does work for luciferase
(unpublished) : do you know his e-mail ?

NB: Chloroform doesn't work for luc.

Every answer is welcome
mailto: stahl at infobiogen.fr
or here.