S. pombe strain

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Thu Apr 24 23:44:17 EST 1997

Ji-Quan Liu wrote:

> Hi, netters: which strain has been used for Schizosaccharomyces pombe
> genomic Sequencing Project? Cosmid clones of S. pombe is commercially
> available?
> Thanks in advance.

If you go to http://www.sanger.ac.uk/~yeastpub/svw/ICRF_clones.html
you will find information about obtaining cosmids.  Note that all pombe
strains in use are supposedly derived from the same isolates, so
we in pombe do not suffer the extensive strain variation as the
cerevisiae folks.  In theory, we're all in the same strain background.
(Naturally over several years these may have diverged, but
at least they were the same isolate not TOO long ago! ;-)
I assume that the strain being sequenced is either 972 (canonical wild
type h-) or  968 (h90) or 975 (h+).  As to whether it's the SAME
 isolate being sequenced....

You can find information about the pombe sequencing project(s) at
http://www2.bio.uva.nl/pombe/default.html#genome for an overview;
specific projects are discussed at
http://www.sanger.ac.uk/yeast/pombe.html
http://clio.cshl.org:80/pombeweb/
and
http://www2.bio.uva.nl/pombe/seq_eu.html

Incidentally at the pombe workshop at the YGM last summer, everyone
had examples of essential genes they were studying that do
NOT have obvious sequence homologues in cerevisiae.  I think
comparative genomics between these two is going to be a lot of fun!

-- susan
DON'T REPLY to the email address in header!
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg, PhD
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab
The Salk Institute, La Jolla CA