Codon Bias Effect on Protein Expression

Brett Burkholder burkhold at gmm.gen.emory.edu
Tue Aug 5 04:52:59 EST 1997

I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to express two human proteins in
yeast.  A third human protein expresses very well.  I am using a GAL
1-10 promoter for all three, which should be giving huge overexpression.

I have previously considered that the lack of an effective RBS could be
the culprit. This inquiry resulted in the tip that A/T rich sequences
just upstream of the start site help in expression.

Now, I am wondering how much codon bias can affect protein expression.
If there are a number of ill-favored codons in a row (say ones used less
than 10% in normal yeast proteins), is that enough to halt or severely
restrict the amount of protein translated?

I've come across a couple of articles on the effect in E. coli, but are
there any references on the effect of codon bias in yeast?

Thanks,

Brett Burkholder
Department of Genetics
Emory University