New Saccharomyces Sequences 08/05/97

francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV
Tue Aug 5 14:03:44 EST 1997

Dear yeast genome enthusiasts,

The new updates we've recently seen on this newsgroup (as posted by our
friends at SGD at Stanford) represenent the beginning of an effort on
the part of the collaborative DNA sequence databases to organize the
genomic information of many organisms, and more specifically in this
case, that of Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

What we are doing is generating single accession numbers for each
chromosome (see list below).  Once we are finished all "master" pieces
(ie those comprising the efforts from the yeast genome community) will
have these accession numbers as secondary numbers on all the pieces.
This is a transitional process, because normally secondary accession
numbers are not used this way.  Nonetheless, it will facilitate the use
of these, and this is why we are doing so.

When we are finished, these will be the accession numbers for all the
chromosomes, and they will be represented in the CON division of
DDBJ/EMBL/GenBank (see the EMBL release notes for more info rmation on
this, and soon (next release in a few weeks) in the GenBank release
notes as well).

Not everything is finished yet, but I thought I should explain what all
of these updates where about.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this,

regards to all,

francis

--
| B.F. Francis Ouellette