Who sells premixed drop out media?

Namjin Chung nc1 at ACPUB.DUKE.EDU
Thu Aug 7 16:16:20 EST 1997

Dear Yeasters,

I'd like to hear some consensus.  I find it surprising that several
companies sell drop-out media, but I wonder about qualities of media, and
if they follow such generalized recipes as in textbooks like Methods in
Enzym. 192 (Academic Press) or Methods in Yeast Genetics (CSHL Press).

The premixed powder sounds like a lot convenient, but the thing is that
many of us have followed the recipes found in the above books.  What if
we get any different growth properties?  Should I undergo to test all my
lab strains for growth curves and etc with commercial, premixed dropout
powders?  I'd rather do some more weighing.  Well, still I would like to
hear from someone who have experience with the premixed media!

Sincerely,

On 8-7-97 7:59p, ZX wrote:

>Michael Benedik wrote:
>
>> Bio101 sells lots of yeast media and dropout mixes. Still pretty
>> expensive though.
>>

>Another place is a company called Bufferad.  They sell all kinds of
>yeast and E.coli media.  Drop-out mix sells at $90/100g.  At 2g/liter,
>it comes to about $2 per liter.
>
>BUFFERAD:  (800) 474-5290
>		Fax (201) 643-5389
>

>Zhixiong Xue