Optimal OD's for westerns or beta-gals?

John Stebbins stebbin1 at pilot.msu.edu
Thu Aug 14 12:00:12 EST 1997

I just purchased the Clontech lexA mAB and attempted to do a western with
it which failed.  One reason given for the failure was that the yeast were
collected at OD600=1.0 instead of 0.5.  The extracts tested had been
tested for activity by beta-gal assays and did have activity.  Has anyone
else found this to be a critical parameter for either westerns or beta-gal
assays?  (I am aware of the reported finding that expression off of the
ADH1 promoter goes down as glucose levels go down.)

Thanks

John Stebbins
stebbin1 at pilot.msu.edu
Michigan State University