Q: Growth medium for Saccharomyces yeasts.

Steve Quest Squest at cris.com
Fri Dec 19 14:44:16 EST 1997

	This may sound like a newbie question, but does anyone have
reference to information on the ideal growth medium for Saccharomyces
yeasts?  I have been experimenting with cell cultures and the growth
medium I've used successfully includes a carbon base of pure glucose (~18
degrees brix) and a nutrient broth made up of stock Pasteur's Salt
solution (as described in the CRC Handbook of Chemistry).  I am not
diluting the stock solution for use, which seems a bit odd to me.  The
yeast seems to grow better in the straight stock solution.  :-/  I am also
including vitamins and trace minerals (very broad spectrum).  For example,
Niacinamide 10mg/l, Vitamin B6 1mg/l, B12 3ug/l, and C 30mg/l.  Trace
minerals include as much as I had on hand, typically in the 10's of ug/l
including copper, selenium, manganese, chromium, molybdenum, nickle, tin,
vanadium, and boron.  This medium seems to suffer from considerable
foaming and frothing which I have reduced by the addition of a liquid
(~viscosity around 60,000 centistokes) dimethylpolysiloxane 20mg/l.

	If anyone can give me reference to the "ideal" growth medium for
saccharomyces yeasts, I'd be most appreciative.  I've already searched the
web with Altavista and Infoseek, and the results were negative.  The
growth medium should be adaptable to aerobic as well as anerobic growth.

	Thank you all in advance for your help.  :)

sq

mailto:Squest at cris.com
AVR Technologies