Question about yeast carbon base.

Steve Quest Squest at cris.com
Mon Dec 29 18:15:55 EST 1997

	Greetings group.  :)  Does anyone know what is produced when
excess HCl is added to an aqueous concentrated sucrose solution?
Typically when I used organic acids to hydrolyse sucrose, the resultant
solution was water clear.  However, when I used HCl, the resultant
solution was tea colored.  Is this due to the fact I produced Dextrin from
the excess HCl, or is it due to the fact I carmalized the sucrose, or
something else completely?  :-/

	The method I used to prepare hydrolysed sucrose (invertase) is to
mix 720g clean white sucrose (commercial table sugar), with 240ml water,
bring to a boil and then add hydrochloric acid to initiate the
hydrolysation of the sucrose.  In my first attempt I added 30ml of 1.14d
hydrochloric acid, which quickly turned the solution to a dark brown tea
color.  I did not attempt to propagate yeast in this carbon base.  On my
second attempt I added the acid dropwise until I noticed the color start
to change, then stopped.  The point at which the color begins to change is
2.5ml of 1.14d HCl.  This seems to produce good quality dextrose and
levulose in which yeasts seem to thrive.

	If anyone can answer my question, "what is produced when excess
HCl is used in the inversion of sucrose", I'd be most appreciative.  :)

sq

mailto:squest at cris.com
AVR Technologies