Pulse electrophoresis

Douglas Rhoads drhoads at MERCURY.UARK.EDU
Wed Feb 5 09:32:03 EST 1997

At the CSH Yeast course they gave out the plans for constructing a
PFGE system.  I had out local science machine shop construct the
chamber from plexiglass for about $400.  You then need about $200
worth of platinum wire, our electronics shop built the resistor box
for about $200, a timer controller costs around $100, and the
external cooling water bath costs $1500-2000 (all in US Dollars).  I
wrote a DOS program that can control a $150 PC board for elaborate
ramping protocols but for that to work the resistor box has to be
changed around.  The design of the box is pretty simple and so is the
electronics.  The long and the short of it is that if you have people
that are good at machining and assembling plexiglass and someone else
that can do simple electronic circuit board work you can put the
whole thing together for around $3000.

> To:            yeast at net.bio.net
> From:          fleisch at embratel.net.br
> Subject:       Pulse electrophoresis
> Date:          5 Feb 1997 06:09:29 -0800

> 	Dear Yeasties
> 	I=B4m intereste in starting with pulse electrophoresis procedures in my=20
> lab. The problem is that the equipment is quite expensive (Bio rad and Ph=
> armacia=20
>  are the two that I=B4ve quoted) and the tax prices in Brazil are expensi=
> ve too.=20
> 	Does any body knows a cheaper equipment with a reasonable quality?=20
> Pharmacia was the cheapest that I found and costs here around  US $17.000=
>  CIF. I=20
> would be very hapy if I find something cheaper than US $10.000 CIF  (We c=
> an=20
> expect that the taxes are around 100 % for this kind of products in Brazi=
> l)
> 	Thank you very much.
> 	Claus Troger Pich

    "They named it GOLF because all the other four letter
        words were taken."  Lee Trevino

||                  Douglas Rhoads                        ||                             ||
||drhoads at mercury.uark.edu || Dept. of Biological Sciences||
||drhoads at comp.uark.edu    || 601 Science Engineering     ||
||501-575-3251             || University of Arkansas      ||
||FAX 501-575-4010         || Fayetteville, AR 72701      ||
||      http://comp.uark.edu/~bioinfo/bisc.html           ||