homolog vs paralog?

Neigeborn, Lenore neigeborn at OCELOT.RUTGERS.EDU
Mon Feb 10 11:48:37 EST 1997

Hi,

Can someone clarify for me the distinction in usage between the terms homolog
and paralog?  Exactly what is a paralog and when is it appropriate to use the
term (in lieu of homolog, when all one knows is sequence similarity)?

After the last big yeast meeting, I came home with the idea that a paralog was a
"homolog within the same species" based on sequence, not necessarily
functionality.  Lately, I'm beginning to doubt that this is correct.

Thanks,

Lenore