books

francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV
Sat Jan 4 08:50:15 EST 1997

> From maggieww at MAIL.UNM.EDU Fri Jan  3 18:48:19 1997

> Can someone recommend a good yeast taxonomy text?  Thanks, Maggie WW

Hello Maggie,

here is what we have for 'Fungi' on our taxonomy resource page,
where we list some of the references our taxonomy people use when
working with taxonomy in GenBank (other suggestions are welcome):

http://www3.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Taxresources/taxrefs.html

Also see 'Kurtzman CP.  Molecular taxonomy of the yeasts.
          Yeast 10: 1727-1740 (1994)' (abtract and URL below)

using this URL, you will see the reference below, but you will also be
able to see the links to  'neighbors' or 'related articles' (147, as of
today).

http://www4.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?db=m&form=6&uid=95266354&dopt=r

cheers, (and happy new year)

f.

--
| B.F. Francis Ouellette
| GenBank Coordinator
|
| francis at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

** Fungi **

ATCC Catalogue of Filamentous Fungi. Jong S.C & Edwards, M.J., eds.,
American Type Culture Collection. 18th edition, 1991.

ATCC Catalogue of Yeasts. Jong S.C & Edwards, M.J., eds., American Type
Culture Collection.  18th edition, 1990.

Hawksworth, D.L., Sutton, B.C., and Ainsworth, G.C.: Ainsworth &
Bisby's Dictionary of the Fungi. Commonwealth Mycological Institute,
Kew, Surrey. 7th edition, 1983.

Kreger-van Rij N.J.W., ed.: The yeasts A taxonomic study. 3rd edition,
Elsevier, 1984.

Raper, K.B. and Fennell, D. I.: The Genus Aspergillus. The Williams and
Wilkins Co., Baltimore 1965.

Jong, S.C., Birmingham, J. M., and Ma, G. Stedman's ATCC Fungus Names.
Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore etc. 1993.

http://www4.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?db=m&form=6&uid=95266354&dopt=r

Yeast 10: 1727-1740 (1994)

Molecular taxonomy of the yeasts.

Kurtzman CP

National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, U.S. Department
of Agriculture, Peoria, Illinois 61604, USA.

The term 'yeast' is often taken as a synonym for Saccharomyces
cerevisiae, but the phylogenetic diversity of yeasts is illustrated by
their assignment to two taxonomic classes of fungi, the ascomycetes and
the basidiomycetes. Subdivision of taxa within their respective classes
is usually made from comparisons of morphological and physiological
features whose genetic basis is often unknown. Application of molecular
comparisons to questions in yeast classification offers an
unprecedented opportunity to re-evaluate current taxonomic schemes from
the perspective of quantitative genetic differences. This review
examines the impact of molecular comparisons, notably rRNA/rDNA
sequence divergence, on the current phenotypically defined
classification of yeasts. Principal findings include: 1) budding
ascomycetous yeasts are monophyletic and represent a sister group to
the filamentous ascomycetes, 2) fission yeasts are ancestral to budding
and filamentous ascomycetes, 3) the molecular phylogeny of
basidiomycetous yeasts is generally congruent with type of hyphal
septum, presence or absence of teliospores in the sexual state, and
occurrence of cellular xylose.

PMID: 7747515, MUID: 95266354