DNA software

makrol at students.wisc.edu makrol at students.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 8 21:21:38 EST 1997

In article <1ABDB4269CF at biotop.umcs.lublin.pl>,
TCHORZ at BIOTOP.UMCS.LUBLIN.PL ("Marek Tchorzewski") wrote:

> Dear Netters,
>
> First of all, Happy New Year 1997 to all of you !!!
>
> On the other hand, I need advice concerning programs
> for DNA and protein analysis.
> I am going to buy such program however I am not
> fully determined which program I should purchase.

I strongly recommend against getting Gene Construction Kit (I use it, but
it doesn't do nearly all the things i want...it wasn't my decision).  If
you have a UNIX machine, GCG works well, but not easy to use (nor is it
all-purpose...BTW, i haven't tried the graphic user interface yet).  I hear
that DNA Strider (gene strider?) works quite well for most people's needs,
but is rather confusing at first to learn.
Again, it all depends what you want to do.

I recommend getting demo versions of all of the above, and others as well.
--
"Without censorship things can get terribly confused in the public mind."
-Gen. W. C. Westmoreland, retired (former commander of U.S. forces in