ilv1 mutants failing to grow on defined media

Michael Lichten lichten at
Tue Jan 14 09:28:51 EST 1997

For reasons that are best left unsaid, we (we=Alastair Goldman) have
created a hybrid yeast strain that is mostly cerevisiae (SK1 background)
but which carries a chromosome V from carslbergensis.  This chromosome V
is marked with an ilv1- mutation.  The strains we are using are usually
leu2- and arg4-.

The problem we're having is that these strains grow poorly (very poorly)
on defined complete media (SC), even when supplemented with the
recommended amounts of isoleucine and valine (30 ug/ml and 150 ug/ml,
respectively).  This happens even if the supplement is spread on a plate,
so it's not an autoclaving issue.  The strains do grow on YPD, although a
bit slowly.  If anyone out there has an idea why this might be, or how to
solve this problem, please let me know, because it's keeping us from doing

Michael Lichten
lichten at