Viability of diploids vs haploids in pombe

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospam.salk.edu
Sun Jan 19 07:35:28 EST 1997

Namjin Chung wrote:
....stuff deleted....
> As a student who knows almost nothing about pombe, I find this very
> interesting; cerevisiae prefers diploid while pombe prefers haploid.
> Is there any explanation for this?  TIA :)

Perhaps it reflects the whims of the fates?  ;-)

Seriously, this is another reminder that the two are VERY different.
Whereas cerevisiae's emergency response to starvation is sporulation,
for pombe, it is conjugation.  Not surprisingly, the regulation of
this differentiation is quite distinct.

If you are interesting in the current taxonomy that places pombe
as an archeoascomycete preceding the split between cerevisiae
and Aspergillus, check out
http://megasun.bch.umontreal.ca/People/lang/species/spo/spogeneral.html

The fact that pombe is usually a haploid is a neat explanation
on why it spends most of its cell cycle in G2.

-- susan

NOTE Don't reply to email address in header!
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg          forsburg at salk.edu
The Salk Institute    http://flosun.salk.edu/~forsburg
La Jolla, CA