S.cerevisiae progenitors

Guillaume Stahl stahl at infobiogen.fr
Tue Jul 22 17:13:34 EST 1997

Dennis Walker wrote:

> I am not a scientist! I am an amateur brewer trying to recreate
> a medieval beer recipe from 16th century England as closely as possible.

Some time ago, I heard (on Internet, if I remember) about a bottle of
beer, found in a sunked ship mid 18th century, which contained ALIVE
yeast.
I think if you can strike those on rich media, you may use it as any
S288C, W303, or others strains walking 'round in the labs. If you need
some media to isolate your strain, I'm sure you may ask to the nearest
yeast lab at your place (most of yeast genetician love beer, I think
both characteres are tightly linked ;-)

Sure this doesn't help, unless you're practising diving...

Guillaume, France