lewd messages

Mike Cherry cherry at fafner.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jun 11 09:44:45 EST 1997

In article <v01530503afc325ed7055@[129.24.171.20]>,
M Werner-Washburne <maggieww at MAIL.UNM.EDU> wrote:
>Is there some way to keep announcements advertising essentially
>pornographic material off our listserver?  I find it absolutely
>anti-academic and disheartening.  Maggie WW

There is a growing amount of junk/offensive messages sent to all of
the BioSci groups.  Note that the BioSci groups are NOT provided by a
listserver.  They are a combination of Usenet and two mail servers.
Thus there is no one place that all message could be filtered.
However, the group could be moderated.  This would require that all
messages first go to one place, the moderator.  Once the moderator(s)
approve(s) the message it is sent to the group.  The Usenet software
and the BioSci system seems to work well with moderation.  Recently
several other BioSci groups have become moderated in large part to
eliminate the unwanted junk messages.  The moderator(s) see the junk
and offensive messages while the group at large only sees the
appropriate messages.

Moderation will add a small delay to the distribution of messages.
This delay should be less than 12 hours depending on the day of the
week.  If there is interest in moderation I would like to offer the
services of the SGD group to act as the moderators.  Our staff is
large enough that we will be able to provide several people that can
watch the in box and get yeast messages on their way quickly.  If there
is significant interest the BioSci rules require a vote before
moderation can be put into place.

Mike

J. Michael Cherry                   Internet: cherry at genome.stanford.edu
Department of Genetics              Stanford University School of Medicine
Medical Center, Room A351           Stanford, California  94305-5120
Voice: 415-723-7541                 FAX: 415-723-7016