Moderation?

Tritech Research Tritech_Research at lamg.com
Thu Jun 12 01:00:41 EST 1997

Jon Binkley,binkley at genome.stanford.edu,Internet writes:
Would the proposed moderators simply cut out the offensive dreck,
Spam, pyramid schemes, and chain letters, or would they cut out the
vaguely yeast-related dreck as well?

Would they tell the kids asking us to write their lab reports
for them to go to the library and do their own research?

Would they tell the people seeking quick remedies for Candida
infections to see a medical doctor?

Would they tell salesmen hawking dissecting microscopes, zymolyase,
or two-hybrid-system kits to go jump in the nearest lake?

This extra work would be a Good Thing, in my opinion, but it
would be extra work and would require some possibly controversial
judgement calls.
---------
As someone who is very anti-censorship (and might potentially hawk a
useful product at some point ; ) I would suggest a minimalist approach if
things are to be moderated out.  One place to draw a line is that the post
has to in some way, even if contrived, have to do with yeast and/or science.
That would
eliminate most of the problem, which is from things that are mass-mailed
to hundreds of newsgroups.

Andy Papp
tritech_research at LAMG.COM