Jumping fungus

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Wed Jun 11 09:35:28 EST 1997

David Sinclair wrote:

> I have "discovered" a type of (what looks like a) budding yeast that can
> catapault a cell across the agar to form a new colony. Has anyone ever
> heard of such an organism???

There are known species of basidiomycete yeast that aerially
launch their spores in what is called a ballistospore. According to
my yeast book, they are Sporobolomyces and Bullera.  I don't
know how far the catapault reaches, but they might be your
culprit.

-- susan
DON'T REPLY to the email address in header!
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg, PhD
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab
The Salk Institute, La Jolla CA