minor problem preparing plates

Michael Stockelman michaels at uic.edu
Fri Jun 13 18:41:01 EST 1997

Hi, all!
	I am a new worker in yeast and I just had a small problem while
preparing some YPD plates.  In about the time it took for the plates to
cool on my bench after being dispensed, they pretty much all developed a
scattered covering of liquid droplets.  I put the plates in plastic
sleeves overnight in the fridge, then used them today.  The droplets were
gone (dried? absorbed?) but the plate surfaces now had bumps all over
where the droplets had been.  When I spread liquid on the plates the bumps
quickly dissolved, so they are soluble deposits (not deformation of the
agar).  This has never happened for me with bacterial plates.  Why did my
plates turn out this way? How can I avoid it?

Thanks,

Mike Stockelman