Help with cerevisiae DNA prep

Dr. David J. Meyer meyerdj at phibred.com
Wed Jun 18 13:52:58 EST 1997

Hello netters!

I have been using the Red Book protocol (glass beads, pheol) to
isolate genomic DNA from S. cerevisiae (YPH501 and derivatives) for
Southerns, and this has been working well. But although the protocol
suggests that the DNA can be used for PCR, I find that it does not
work for me using Taq (haven't tried anything else). It fails in a
side-by-side comparison with DNA from a library pool.

Yes, all of my reagents are good and I have done plenty of phenol
extractions. So what I am really asking for is if anyone has any
recommendations for a rapid method which is very robust or for a kit
to solve this problem.

Thanks!

David J. Meyer
Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.