Help with cerevisiae DNA prep

Richard Brennan brennan at toxsparc.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 18 15:50:20 EST 1997

Quiagen (sp?) does a yeast genomic prep kit which works ok (better than
glass beads anyways!). Kind of pricey though at ~$160 for 20 or 25 columns.
There are others kits out there which may be cheaper. Though I've only
used the Quiagen.

Rich
Dr. Richard J. Brennan                           brennan at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Molecular and Cellular Toxicology                brennan at toxsparc.harvard.edu
Harvard School of Public Health                  (617) 432 0350
665 Huntington Ave.                                    432 4412
Boston, MA 02115                                       432 0377 (FAX)
"History would be an excellent thing if only it were true." (Tolstoy)

Dr. David J. Meyer (meyerdj at phibred.com) wrote:
: Hello netters!

: I have been using the Red Book protocol (glass beads, pheol) to
: isolate genomic DNA from S. cerevisiae (YPH501 and derivatives) for
: Southerns, and this has been working well. But although the protocol
: suggests that the DNA can be used for PCR, I find that it does not
: work for me using Taq (haven't tried anything else). It fails in a
: side-by-side comparison with DNA from a library pool.

: Yes, all of my reagents are good and I have done plenty of phenol
: extractions. So what I am really asking for is if anyone has any
: recommendations for a rapid method which is very robust or for a kit
: to solve this problem.

: Thanks!

: David J. Meyer
: Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.