mRNA isolation

Joergen Hansen carlgaer at biobase.dk
Thu Jun 19 11:16:56 EST 1997

ZX wrote:

> Does anyone know any company that sells kits for isolating mRNA from
> yeast?  I am still using the old hot phenol method followed by column.
>
> It works fine but is rather labor intensive.  Please post info. to
> this
> newsgroup.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Zhixiong Xue
> DuPont Central Research
> E402/4237
> P.O.Box 80402
> Wilmington, DE19880-0402
> (302) 695-9465

If your question relates to a nice way of making total yeast RNA, the
answer may be the "FastPrep" instrument from Bio 101. A cell pellet and
some reagents are aded to a screw-cap tube (the FastRNA Kit-RED from Bio
101), which is then shaked for half a minute. Some extractions and
precipitation follows, but all in all I find this procedure both
time-consuming and efficient.

Joergen Hansen, Ph. D.                    Research Scientist
Carlsberg Research Laboratory
Gamle Carlsberg Vej 10
DK-2500 Copenhagen Valby
Phone: +45 3327 5376