Information about Benomyl

Matthew Sachs msachs at ADMIN.OGI.EDU
Wed Jun 25 17:39:03 EST 1997

Speaking from experience using Benomyl for selection of dominant tub-2
alleles in Neurospora crassa:

Wild-type Neurospora is sensitive to Benomyl at concentrations of 0.5
micrograms/ml -1.5 micrograms/ml (yeasts may be more resistant).  I make a
1 mg/ml Benomyl stock in dimethylformamide (it is readily soluble and
higher concentration stocks may be practical if your final concentration
needs to be higher) and store it at -20 degrees (it appears to be
indefinitely stable this way); Benomyl is added to molten agar
(approximately 55 degrees) after autoclaving.  I have never autoclaved it.

>Hi, I want to use benomyl to make some test but I don't know how to
>process it before use.  I have heard that it must be autoclaved because
>heating seem to activate it's toxic property.
>
>If anyone can tell me the proper treatment :
>- In wich solution dissolve it (DMSO ?)
>- At wich concentration should I use it (5,10,15 ug/mL ?)
>- Must it be autoclaved ?

Matthew Sachs
Oregon Graduate Institute of Science & Technology
20000 NW Walker Road
P.O. Box 91000
Portland, OR  97291-1000
503 690-1487 Phone