H2O2

Hal Turton z2137866 at student.unsw.EDU.AU
Thu Jun 26 19:56:04 EST 1997

>Hi,
>
>I want to test the growth of some of my strains on plates containing
>hydrogen peroxide (H202).  It is now immediately obvious to me how to
>prepare such media; add it before autoclaving, after autoclaving, spread
>it on plates?  Any suggestions?
>
>Mike Forte

We have found that it is best to add the H2O2 following autoclaving when
the media has cooled down to below 50 degrees centigrade (ie. you can hold
the flask comfortably). Simply aliquot an appropriate volume of H2O2 into
your media, mix and pour plates. These plates last for a couple of days
before they become less effective. We have found that a concentration of
6-7 mM H2O2 in YEPD plates is sufficient to completely inhibit growth.

Hal Turton