second internal initiation of translation in yeast possible?

Matthew Sachs msachs at ADMIN.OGI.EDU
Tue Mar 4 12:58:39 EST 1997

Their is precedent for multiple translation initiation events in Saccharomyces:

Gillman, E. C., Slusher, L. B., Martin, N. C., and Hopper, A. K. (1991).
MOD5 translation initiation sites determine N6-isopentenyladenosine
modification of mitochondrial and cytoplasmic tRNA. Mol. Cell. Biol. 11,

Consider the possibility of leaky scanning as well as internal initiation:

Yun, D. F., Laz, T. M., Clements, J. M., and Sherman, F. (1996). mRNA
sequences influencing translation and the selection of AUG initiator codons
in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol. Microbiol. 19, 1225-1239.

Finally, consider that there may be additional transcripts that lack the
upstream start codon:

Natsoulis, G., Hilger, F., and Fink, G. R. (1986). The HTS1 gene encodes
both the cytoplasmic and mitochondrial histidine tRNA synthetases of S.
cerevisiae. Cell 46, 235-243.

>Hi Folks,
>I'm currently performing a Yeast one hybrid screen with Gal4-cDNA fusions.
>The so far pulled out clones are kind of weird but are making perfect
>sense when they are translated in a frame shift. Does anybody know if
>second site translation starts do happen in Yeast which might produce
>functional transcription factors?
>Hope to hear from you soon. Ciao, Matthias

Matthew Sachs
Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology
20000 NW Walker Road
P.O. Box 91000
Portland, OR  97291-1000
503 690-1487 Phone