premeiotic cell division in pombe

Michael Lichten lichten at helix.nih.gov
Wed Mar 5 09:24:59 EST 1997

In article <33181168.6F47 at molgen.biologie.uni-marburg.de>, erika
<erika at molgen.biologie.uni-marburg.de> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> can anybody tell me what premeiotic cell divisions are in S. pombe and
> whether there is a similar cell cycle stage in S. cerevisiae?
> Many thanks in anticipation,
>
>                               Klaus

There are no premeiotic cell divisions in S. cerevisiae.  Or rather, the
number of premeiotic cell divisions in cerevisiae are limited only by
senesence!

In other words, diploid cerevisiae strains grow vegetatively until
starved; if pregrown and starved in the appropriate manner, they enter
meiosis immediately, with no intervening cell divisions.

I believe that pombe enters meiosis immediately after karyogamy.

--
Michael Lichten
lichten at helix.nih.gov