DNA extraction from yeast - need help

Christian Velten cve at abc.univie.ac.at
Thu May 8 14:38:53 EST 1997

Magdalena Cano Plewinska wrote:

> He is trying to isolate yeast DNA and has had no luck. I gather that
> he is using glass beads to break up the cells and phenol for DNA
> extraction.

I think that the glass beads will

a) break the chromosomal DNA and
b) bind many DNA.

Most people use Zymolyase digestion of the cell wall. I can post you the
protocol if you want me to.

CV

--         This is a Yeasts world ... yeah!

Christian Velten - actually guest at the Vienna Biocenter
Institute for Biochemistry and Molecular Cell Biology
Dr.-Bohrgasse 9                1030 Wien, Austria
Tel.:   +43-1-795155506        Fax: +43-1-7995272
e-mail: cve at abc.univie.ac.at   CIS: 10073,2071
<http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/C_Velten/>