Autofluorescence and GFP fusions

P E Sudbery P.Sudbery at shef.ac.uk
Mon Oct 6 10:17:10 EST 1997

We are trying to localise the intracellular location of a
S.cerevisiae protein using a GFP fusion. Trouble is our negative
controls fluoresce like crazy. We have tried W303 and Berkeley strains
and have grown cells on YEPD and minimal media. Washing cells with
phosphate buffer helps but doesn't eliminate the problem. We don't
think its our microscope because we have also used  GFp fusions in
Candida albicans without any problems. Anybody got any ideas?