Gal induction

Philip Heacock pheacock at utmmg.med.uth.tmc.edu
Fri Oct 17 13:57:01 EST 1997

Hi folks,

I have a problem that I am hoping to get a little help with. I have a null
mutatnt (mitochondrial) that is unable to grow on galactose. When I
transform this strain with a plasmid that contains a wildtype copy of my
gene under gal control I am unable to get induction. I must assume this is
due to the inability of my strain to utilize galactose as a carbon source.
Does anyone know of another method of induction of this promotor?

At present I am tring togrow the strain on raffanose (it will grow on this
sugar) and switch to gal.

On a sidelight, is there a ref. that could point me to other carbon sources?
Philip Heacock, Research Associate      E-mail: pheacock at utmmg.med.uth.tmc.edu
UT-H HSC, Medical School                  Tel: (713) 500-6052
Department of Biochemistry                FAX: (713) 500-0652
        and Molecular Biology
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, TX 77030